Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Kindle Kindle, Double Double

I once had a task from my oDesk job  to write a product review about the popular Amazon Kindle products. I was asked to compare the products from Kindle 1 to the latest one. So I did a little research and all and as I made the product review, I began to like it's features. And the next thing I had in mind... was to actually buy myself one. LOL. Who'd think that a product review pretending to have the actual product would be the one to actually want the product?

Luckily, my sister knew someone who wanted to sell her Kindle 3/Kindle 3G + WiFi because she wanted to upgrade to Kindle Fire (which is the latest and a much better version of Kindle). That was lucky of me I had it for just about half the original price.

And special thanks to the special participation of my sister Cham2x (visit her blog at www.cham-my.blogspot.com <--- just returning the favor. LOL).

And so, just a couple of weeks ago, I finally got my Amazon Kindle 3. Now, that I finally have one, I can do my own product review GENUINELY. haha.

So here are the things I find nice and maybe not-so-nice about the product:


1. Lightweight and Easy to Carry

This is the very first thing that I liked about Kindle. Imagine yourself carrying a library with one hand. It's true. My Kindle is loaded with about 100+ ebooks (as of the moment) including novels and medical textbooks that are very heavy in their actuality that I even almost stumbled in our school library carrying one; not to mention, the Schwart'z Principles of Surgery. But with my Amazon Kindle, I can open books instantly and continue reading even when lying down.

However, the sad thing is that not all medical ebooks are available as a pdf file and Kindle only reads pdf and prc files. Most of my medical textbooks here are under chm file and I'm still finding way to convert the file to pdf (Good luck to me on that. lol).

Nonetheless, the novels that I got (which were actually downloaded by the original owner), are bunches and I read them when I feel lazy reading medical terms. Ho! Ho! Ho! 

2. Easy and Comfortable Reading Experience 

Now I finally have the first hand experience of how the thing they call the "Ink Pearl technology" looks like and feels like. It's true-- it's like reading from a piece of smooth paper. But the thing is, everything is black and white, even the pictures. Still, what matters more to me is the content, not the color <---- (Getting my spirits high.. lol)

Next, with it's non-glare screen display, I can indeed easily read the ebooks under the sun or any source of bright light without glare. The downside here, however, is that I can't read in the dark. =( Oh but let's just look at the bright side: It's always better to read under the light to protect the health of our eyes, right? hihihihi..

And turning the pages back and forth is easy too. All though it's nothing compared to the comfort of swiping your fingers to the touch-screen technology of iPads, Androids, and Tablets. The good thing about the Kindle not built with touch-screen technology is that it doesn't easily get damaged when the screen gets wet plus you can touch your fingers to point on the words or pictures without any sensitivity at all. There's about 0.5 second lag when turning into pages or selecting ebooks though. But that's really negligible compared to the easy comprehension with built-in dictionary wherein you just point the cursor on the word you want to clarify and the meaning will automatically pop-up at the top or bottom of the screen. So you don't need to grab your pocket dictionary to learn new vocabulary!

If you still like to try touch-screen but want an affordable one, try the Kindle touch 3G! It's obviously a touch screen version of Kindle. See? Kindle is keeping up with touch-screen technology too! <--- (An obvious fan of Amazon Kindle).

3. Amazing Power Supply

I say the battery is doing good so far. I charge it once a week and it doesn't drain so fast given that it's already a second-hand techie gadget. It easily drains though when you turn on the Wi Fi and/or the mp3 player and/or the text-to-speech features. And speaking of Text-to-Speech...


Text-to-Speech feature:
Before, I gleefully thought that when I get to a point of feeling lazy reading, I'd just turn on the text-to-speech and the Kindle will do it's thing. But, uhm.... well, I honestly would rather do the reading. Haha. Not being mean here but, either the male or the female version can't project what the text is supposed to point out. With the text-to-speech, the text is completely emotionless, and worst, pointless. So never mind this feature and just think about what other books you want to read in the future.

In general, I totally like the Kindle 3. If we can explore the world through reading, it's even much better and more affordable with Kindle 3 plus we get to have the privilege of saving more trees. And if you want to save more money, buy a second-hand. I'm a fan. lol.

Thanks to Kindle, I'm more enthusiastic in reading now than ever before! 

4 comments:

  1. No need to mention, but thanks, you know how i like attention! haha. glad you liked that thing called Kindle as I am not really a fan of it. good thing I was able to bid for it. though it's second hand, that fact doesn't depreciate its value! enjoy! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm indeed a fan. Thanks for reading my post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your FUNtastic reading!!! I wish to be an avid reader someday. =) I only read blogs and articles, but not books (novel). hihi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! You should try reading novels. I recommend Harry Potter. LOL. I know you're not a fan. heheh

    ReplyDelete